Q. I used a new soap and observed reddish spot around my vagina. What could it be?



Hello doctor,

I have been using a new soap for a couple of days and I recently discovered this little reddish spot around my vagina. I have never had this problem before. I am a kind of freaking out. It is like a rash, but they do not itch or hurt or burn. I have not been to my gynecologist in the last three years. I am actually going to meet her by this week. I do not have any STDs. So, I was wondering what this could possibly be. I have been with the same guy for almost 5 years. I have IUD right now, so we do not use condoms at all. Also, I have a small bump on my cervix where my strings are and a little bit of pelvic pain here and there. I also have Fordyce spots as you can see in the picture. Pap smear, HPV, herpes and HIV tests came back negative. So, any of your input would be appreciated. Thank you.





Welcome to dr.sitehome.info.

I have seen the picture. First of all, do not panic. It is good that you have done all your routine checkups and all are good.

First of all, stop using the new soap for cleaning private parts, especially in and around the vagina.

You have to understand that there is a normal flora (bacteria, microbes) over vagina, which is required for normal health. By using soap, you are destroying this normal barrier mechanism to prevent other infections and make the skin prone to other infection.

Secondly, you mentioned that there is a little burning sensation. If burning is associated with urination, then there is a chance of urine infection. If it is so, then get your urine checked.

Ask your husband that he has any health issues at present. You are not using condoms and intrauterine device is there. These both increase the chance of infection.

  • To avoid repeated infection, first get a visit to the gynecologist and take treatment for this.
  • Keep the private parts as dry as possible. Change pads and underwear more frequently during menses. Prefer cotton underwear. Drink more water.
  • Wash your private part only with water. Wash and urinate immediately after sex.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online –>https://www.dr.sitehome.info/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Ask a Doctor Online





Medical Questions

[], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], []

Facebook Comments

Post a comment