Q. Is there any nerve regeneration treatment for Bell’s palsy?



Hi doctor,

I have been diagnosed with Bell’s palsy before 10 days. Half of my facial muscles are not working. I had swelling of the salivary gland near the ear before this issue. The MRI brain scan did not show stroke. Currently, I am on Prednisone and Valtrex. Is there any nerve regeneration treatment that could make the recovery faster? How soon should I get such treatment? I heard such regeneration can damage the facial nerve. Is it true?





Welcome to dr.sitehome.info.

I understand your symptoms and your question.

  • All your symptoms, including the weakness of the facial muscles and taste issues are because of facial nerve dysfunction. It is a good thing that your MRI is normal.
  • The treatment that you have been prescribed is also proper, but I would like to suggest that after your 40 mg course is over, the tablet Prednisone should be continued as 30 mg for one week, 20 mg for one week, 10 mg for one week, 5 mg for a week and then stop.
  • Until Prednisone is over, I suggest you tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before breakfast. Consult your specialist doctor and discuss with him or her.
  • Regarding other rehabilitation measures and for faster recovery, you can do facial muscles exercises.
  • The larger studies have suggested that we should first wait for the natural recovery with exercises and if it does not recover till three months, then we recommend electrical stimulation.
  • Facial nerve electrical stimulation has to be done by a physiotherapist. It is done by a special equipment, which delivers very low voltage current. It does not damage the nerve. It has been proven beneficial.
  • The practice varies internationally and some centers recommend the use of electrical stimulation after six weeks also.
  • Regarding magnetic therapy, we do not have robust evidence whether it helps.
  • With regular rehabilitation measures, it usually recovers in six weeks of time. But, you would have some residual weakness, which may be negligible.

For further information consult a neurologist online –> https://www.dr.sitehome.info/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist




Medical Questions

Facebook Comments

Post a comment