Q. What is retinal detachment?



Hi doctor,

While blinking my eyes, some round shaped image is appearing in my left eyelid. I seek doctor’s advice and he said that I have a retinal detachment. Please help.





Welcome to dr.sitehome.info.

  • The round images you see are called floaters. These are associated with posterior vitreous detachment (PVD).
  • With PVD there may be a break or hole in retina and that can lead to retinal detachment (RD).
  • With retinal detachment initially there may be a curtain in the visual field and then the vision can decrease. Retinal detachment is an emergency condition and that need urgent management.
  • If you have myopia (minus glasses), had any trauma to the eye, any eye surgery or family history of RD, then you are at greater risk of both PVD and RD.
  • Are you sure that your doctor said it as retinal detachment? Or is it posterior vitreous detachment?
  • If it is retinal detachment, then you need to go to a retinal surgeon immediately for management. He will decide the procedure you need for retinal attachment. That may be pneumatic, buckling or vitrectomy or a combined procedure.
  • So, you need to confirm whether it is PVD or RD with your doctor.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online –> https://www.dr.sitehome.info/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Ask a Doctor Online





Medical Questions

Facebook Comments

Post a comment