Q. Would you recommend grommets for glue ear?



Hello doctor,

I am a 38 year old male. I was diagnosed with bilateral glue ear. It has persisted for two weeks now and has seen an ENT specialist. I am on my third dose of antibiotics, Moxiclav duo forte 875/125. The condition does not seem to be improving. I am also using painkillers, nasal spray and antihistamine. I am keen to get grommets in my ears just to get some relief as the pressure or fluid buildup is unbearable on occasions. The ENT specialist seems to be against doing this? What would you recommend? Please explain.





Welcome to dr.sitehome.info.

  • If the diagnosis of glue is supported by fluid type of curve (B type) in tympanogram with associated conductive hearing loss in audiometry, as well as not healing with nasal sprays and conservative management, then grommets can be used.
  • The tympanic membrane is incised and glue sucked out and pressure equalization tubes known as grommets are inserted across the eardrum.
  • After three to four months grommets are extruded on their own. While having grommets you must make sure that water does not go into the said ear.
  • Grommets are safe and excellent way of managing glue ear. One must be sure of the diagnosis and rule out any associated ear pathology before insertion of grommets.
  • You may share your reports and findings from ENT clinic to me so I can give you a decisive way of management for your problem. But, with the available details I can conclude that you can get grommet in the ear.

Revert back with the reports to an ENT otolaryngologist online –> https://www.dr.sitehome.info/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Ask a Doctor Online





Medical Questions

[], [], [], [], [], [], [], []

Facebook Comments

Post a comment